ARE YOU CARING FOR THE CHILD OF A RELATIVE, FRIEND OR NEIGHBOR?
Caring for a child who isn’t your own is called kinship care, and you aren’t alone. Almost 3 million children in the United States are being raised in kinship care.
Kinship caregivers – just like you – have unique needs. HALOS understands when you feel:
• Overwhelmed by taking on a child again when your own kids are grown.
• Worried about how you can make ends meet.
• Frustrated by how difficult it can be to find assistance.
• Isolated because your friends don’t understand what you’re going through.
HALOS can help you! We provide personalized support services to kinship families in Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester Counties.
When you call us, we will:
• Quickly respond to your immediate needs. If you are in crisis, you won’t have to wait for weeks for a call.
• Meet with you in your home to determine your family’s specific needs and how we can help.
• Lead you through the process of accessing services to minimize red tape.
• Advocate for you to find services available to you that you might not even know about.
• Provide support groups so you can network with others in the same situation who understand what you’re going through.
Here’s what caregivers say about HALOS:
They listened to me.
Because of their help, I feel that everything is going to be ok.
I’ve met others just like me and made friends who support me.
HALOS is right there with extra help when I need it.
HOW CAN WE HELP YOU?
Call us at 843-990-9568 or 843-637-4101 to talk with a Family Advocate.
Announcing: Monthly Caregiver Networking
Are you a grandparent, aunt, uncle, sibling or other relative caregiver looking for opportunities to connect and share with people like you? HALOS is here for you!
Dorchester County- 3rd Wednesday of the month: 320 Laurel Ave, Summerville, SC 29483 (6-7pm)
Charleston County-2nd Wednesday of the month: 5000 Lackawanna Blvd, North Charleston, SC 29405 (6-7pm)
Berkeley County-1st Tuesday of the month: 1003 US-52, Moncks Corner, SC 29461 (11-12pm)
Seeking legal advice regarding your kinship care situation?
HALOS is hosting Legal workshops; free 60 minute attorney consultation regarding custody options. Appointments are offered starting at 5:30pm. Please call 843-990-9568 to schedule.
Parenting a Second Time Around (PASTA) Workshops:
The PASTA workshop is an 8-week workshop series designed to strengthen issues such as:
-Caring for yourself as a caregiver
-Discipline and guidance
2020 Dates Coming Soon!
Caregiver Resource Links