ARE YOU CARING FOR THE CHILD OF A RELATIVE, FRIEND OR NEIGHBOR?
Caring for a child who isn’t your own is called kinship care, and you aren’t alone. Almost 3 million children in the United States are being raised in kinship care.
Kinship caregivers – just like you – have unique needs. HALOS understands when you feel:
• Overwhelmed by taking on a child again when your own kids are grown.
• Worried about how you can make ends meet.
• Frustrated by how difficult it can be to find assistance.
• Isolated because your friends don’t understand what you’re going through.
HALOS can help you! We provide personalized support services to kinship families in Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester Counties.
When you call us, we will:
• Quickly respond to your immediate needs. If you are in crisis, you won’t have to wait for weeks for a call.
• Meet with you in your home to determine your family’s specific needs and how we can help.
• Lead you through the process of accessing services to minimize red tape.
• Advocate for you to find services available to you that you might not even know about.
• Provide support groups so you can network with others in the same situation who understand what you’re going through.
Here’s what caregivers say about HALOS:
They listened to me.
Because of their help, I feel that everything is going to be ok.
I’ve met others just like me and made friends who support me.
HALOS is right there with extra help when I need it.
HOW CAN WE HELP YOU?
Call us at 843-990-9568 or 843-637-4101 to talk with a Family Advocate.
Announcing: Monthly Caregiver Networking
Are you a grandparent, aunt, uncle, sibling or other relative caregiver looking for opportunities to connect and share with people like you? HALOS is here for you!
Location: HALOS Office, 4995 Lacross Road. Suite #1250, North Charleston, SC 29406
Dates: 3rd Tuesday of the month in September, October & November-September 20th, October 18th and November 15th 2018
Time: 12-1pm-feel free to bring your own lunch, as food will not be provided
Seeking legal advice regarding your kinship care situation?
HALOS is hosting Legal workshops on the first Tuesday of every month, beginning October 2, 2018. Interested attendants must call Dallyn Ferguson, Family Advocate at (843) 637-4101 to schedule appointments of 30 minutes.
ARC Reflections is a free 9-week workshop to train kinship caregivers to support children in their home.
Sessions start Tuesday, September 18, from 10am-12pm and will run every Tuesday through November 18, 2018. Participants are asked to commit to attend all sessions.
Interested caregivers must register: Call Liz (843)-990-9565
Parenting a Second Time Around (PASTA) Workshops:
The PASTA workshop is an 8-week workshop series designed to strengthen issues such as:
-Caring for yourself as a caregiver
-Discipline and guidance
PASTA will resume again in 2019