ARE YOU CARING FOR THE CHILD OF A RELATIVE, FRIEND OR NEIGHBOR?
Caring for a child who isn’t your own is called kinship care, and you aren’t alone. Almost 3 million children in the United States are being raised in kinship care.
Kinship caregivers – just like you – have unique needs. HALOS understands when you feel:
• Overwhelmed by taking on a child again when your own kids are grown.
• Worried about how you can make ends meet.
• Frustrated by how difficult it can be to find assistance.
• Isolated because your friends don’t understand what you’re going through.
HALOS can help you! We provide personalized support services to kinship families in Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester Counties.
When you call us, we will:
• Quickly respond to your immediate needs. If you are in crisis, you won’t have to wait for weeks for a call.
• Meet with you in your home to determine your family’s specific needs and how we can help.
• Lead you through the process of accessing services to minimize red tape.
• Advocate for you to find services available to you that you might not even know about.
• Provide support groups so you can network with others in the same situation who understand what you’re going through.
Here’s what caregivers say about HALOS:
They listened to me.
Because of their help, I feel that everything is going to be ok.
I’ve met others just like me and made friends who support me.
HALOS is right there with extra help when I need it.
HOW CAN WE HELP YOU?
Call us at 843-990-9568 or 843-637-4101 to talk with a Family Advocate.
Announcing: Monthly Caregiver Networking
Are you a grandparent, aunt, uncle, sibling or other relative caregiver looking for opportunities to connect and share with people like you? HALOS is here for you!
Location: HALOS Office, 4995 Lacross Road. Suite #1250, North Charleston, SC 29406
4th Thursday of the month Feb-Oct 2019
12-1pm at the HALOS office
2/28, 3/28, 4/25, 5/23, 6/27, 7/25, 8/22, 9/26, 10/24
Seeking legal advice regarding your kinship care situation?
HALOS is hosting Legal workshops on the first Tuesday of every month, 1st Tuesday of the month; free 60 minute attorney consultation regarding custody options. Appointments are offered starting at 5:30pm. Please call 990-9568 to schedule.
Parenting a Second Time Around (PASTA) Workshops:
The PASTA workshop is an 8-week workshop series designed to strengthen issues such as:
-Caring for yourself as a caregiver
-Discipline and guidance
Baldwin Carson Community Center in Huger, SC
Wednesdays 9:30-11:30 starting March 13
Call 990-9565 or email Liz at liz@charlestonhalos. org to register
Summer 2019 dates coming soon!
Caregiver Resource Links